Any one who follows my Vlogs or on Instagram and Facebook will know we are having a bit of a tough time. Arthur had Croup over 6 weeks ago and I ended up in A&E twice with him. Ever since he has had a cough and a cold that keeps coming and going. I’ve done pretty well in avoiding it (even though Arthur loves putting his dummy in my mouth) until this week. And my god have I caught it this week.
It started on Saturday when I was at Motorcycle Live in Birmingham. And by Sunday I felt ssssooooooooo rough. Sunday night I went to bed at 8pm and I was still awake at 3.30am coughing. I was actually sick from coughing so much. I took paracetamol, cough medicine, rubbed Viks on my chest and put my head over a steamy bowl of Olbas Oil and NOTHING made me feel any better.
I got up on Monday morning and Arthur was actually a lot better but I felt dreadful. I dropped Arthur off at nursery and I was working from home. Before I started work I tried to get rid of the germs in the house to finally beat this cycle of colds and coughs in the house. Here is what I did:
- Used antibacterial wipes on all touch points throughout the house. These included door handles (inside and outside) light switches, plug switches, kitchen doors, taps, oven handles, baby gate. You get the idea.
- Cleaned bathrooms from top to bottom. The bathrooms are generally cleaned a few times a week anyway but I was on my hands and knees and scrubbed every inch of every bathroom.
- Washed everyone’s bedding. Again!
- Washed Arthur cot. He stands up in it and bites it.
- Put clean towels, tea towels and hand towels out. Again!
- Opened the windows for an hour. It’s surprising what some good fresh air can do.
- Cleaned the door handles on steering wheel of the car.
- Cleaned the leather couch.
As you can see, I was on a mission. I’ve also been making sure Arthur and I are getting plenty of Vitamin C and drinking lots of water. Every day I am going to continue to walk around with the antibacterial wipes because I still feel awful.
Has anyone else got any ideas of how to beat the winter cough and cold?